Today I am going to talk about one of my favorite topics: chick flicks! I am very passionate about this, I love a good chick flick. Here are some of my favorites!!
While You Were Sleeping
This has got to be my all-time favorite movie… ever. Take a journey with Lucy Moderatz, a lonely worker at a train station in Chicago. After a tragic accident with a boy she admired from afar, a mix-up happens at the hospital and she winds up with the boy’s family. This hilarious romantic comedy will leave you laughing and will help you realize the importance of family, whether it be by blood or by friendship.
You’ve Got Mail
This is SUCH a cute movie! Join Kathleen Kelly and Joe Fox as they talk online and get to know each other. I can’t say much otherwise it will give the movie away, but trust me, this is one you won’t want to miss.
Kiss and Cry
Based on a true story, Carley Allison is an aspiring Olympic figure skater with big dreams and big plans. After meeting a boy named Luke at a party, they start falling in love. Soon Carley finds out that she is diagnosed with a rare throat cancer, but that doesn’t stop her from living life to its fullest. Watch with a box of tissues!
A Walk to Remember
Based on a Nicholas Sparks novel, this movie is another one you may want to get some tissues for! Landon Carter is a high school senior who’s a bit (or a lot) of a troublemaker. He has grown up with Jamie Sullivan, but not till they are put in a play together does he notice her. As they grow closer, Jamie admits she has Leukemia. Will their love be strained because of her sickness, or will they grow closer together? Watch to find out!
What are your favorite movies? Let me know in the comments!
Best Christmas Light Displays in the East Valley
It’s definitely the happiest time of year in our home!!! Christmas is my favorite holiday and I love everything about it! Decorating, celebrating, baking, spending time with family…it’s just the best! Every weekend we try to head out in our community in East Mesa to check out some of the fabulous displays that neighbors have created. We have some awesome displays right here in Bella Via, but these are some of our favorites in the East Valley.
Taylor Residence in Ahwatukee
While I haven’t personally seen this one, you can bet it is in on my list for this year! This gorgeous Christmas display has more than 300 hand-carved cutouts featuring all of our favorite characters including Peanuts and Disney as well as a new addition of Emojis!
Santa Train in Phoenix, AZ
We’ve been visiting Frank Polimene’s home, called “The Santa Train” for at least 17 years now! Back when we started going, it wasn’t as well known, and we had a hard time finding it since it is set back in the foothills of Ahwatukee. We were told that you could simply flash your lights from the car to activate the train! Since then, it has become much more popular, the train runs more because everyone is out of their cars to see all the details. It is definitely one of our favorite family traditions!
- The display has a candy cane factory that fills the train, then real candy canes are dumped into the train for visitors to enjoy.
- This home is located at 541 East Mountain Sky Avenue in Phoenix.
- Visit their site to read the story of how this display came to be. It really is a fun story!
- Display Hours: Thanksgiving Day (November 23, 2017) until January 1, 2018. Open nightly until 11:00 p.m. with candy canes given away to the kids until 9:00 p.m.
- Snowfall on Fridays and Saturdays every 20 minutes
- Don’t miss the dancing Santa and the mouse that reads Twas the Night Before Christmas
This is another long standing tradition in our family. I remember taking our kids all bundled up in the stroller, to walk the cul-de-sac and see all the beautiful lights. Since our evenings are so mild, it is nice to walk and see all the beautifully decorated homes in this Rancho Del Mar community. Typically the road is closed to traffic.
- Natal Circle is located near Country Club and Guadalupe in Mesa. Take Guadalupe west, pass Country Club, then turn on Cherry Lane. When you see the traffic, you’ll know you found it!
- Park outside the cul-de-sac on the street, or across from Natal Circle at Rancho Del Mar park.
- Display Hours: Most displays are on nightly from 6:00p.m. – 10:00 p.m.
- Don’t miss the the beautiful Walk Through Bethlehem at the end of the block, open through December 24, 2017
- Beautiful light show set to music in Bella Via near Signal Butte and Warner
- This home is located 11161 East Starkey Avenue in Mesa.
- Display Hours: Monday through Saturday until 10:00 p.m., Sunday until 8:30 p.m.
And finally, we’d love for you to stop by to see our decorated home! While we don’t have a huge holiday light display with music, we do have a lovely display that we’ve created over the last 17 years. Each piece is hand drawn, cut, and painted by our family. Every year we try to add a new piece, so if you’ve been by before, see if you can figure out what is new for 2017! We might not be the biggest or best display around, but we’d still love it if you stopped by!
- Beautiful lights and handmade cutouts
- This home is located 11102 East Rutledge Avenue in Mesa.
- Display hours: Every night until around 10:00 p.m.
- P.S. If we’re home, you’re welcome to see the inside too!
Loop of Lights
(coming back for Christmas 2018)
The main attraction at the Loop of Lights is taking a break this year, after 10 years of fabulous shows. However, many of the other homes are still decorated including the your favorite characters from The Grinch and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer! The area is in Queen Creek in the Pecan Creek South neighborhood. Stop by and take a look!