5 Tips to Make Your Senior Pictures Amazing!
I loved taking my senior pictures! Especially with Michelle, every shoot I do with her is a blast! It’s very exciting to finally be done with the chaos and drama that’s high school and move onto better things (like work or school or both). Here are 5 tips that I’ve learned throughout the shoots I’ve participated in.
- BE TRUE TO YOURSELF
The perfect homemade prop!
- Being true to yourself is one of the most important things when doing a photo shoot. Especially when they’re your Senior pictures! Make sure that the shoot will fully represent you and your personality! It might be fun to try something different but you don’t have to change everything you like for a shoot that’s supposed to be about you. Enjoy what you like and show it off!
- Props are one of my favorite things to use during a shoot! Some pictures Michelle took of me were with an old phone that we both loved! It instantly gave the picture the retro vibe we were going for! Having props is a ton of fun but just make sure not to over do it! Just a couple should do the trick! Also don’t be afraid to bring homemade things as props! I made this amazing flower crown that we used for a couple pictures and those ended up being my favorites!
- KEEP IT SIMPLE
A simple outfit that looks great!
- When picking out clothes (Which is the hardest step) you should to talk about it with your photographer! That way they can make sure it’ll look good when photographed. You may want to rethink that white shirt or that crazy print shirt you have. Bring lots of solids to mix and match with a couple prints! Some prints might be too intense so choose your prints wisely!
- BE PREPARED AND BE FLEXIBLE
- Though number 1 says that you should always be true to yourself and to your style, that doesn’t mean that you shouln’t go outside the box sometimes! Maybe the way the photographer wants you to pose seems a little awkward but it’ll look amazing in the photos! Now, having said this, it’s still important to remember that what you’re comfortable and not comfortable doing. If something really makes you uncomfortable don’t feel like you need to do it! Your senior pictures are about you!
- HAVE FUN!
Have fun! Be yourself!
- Having fun during a shoot can sometimes be hard with the constant moving (or not moving) and the outfit changes. But it’s definitely something so vital to a good shoot!! Not only will the photos seem more fun and genuine, they will be! Music and bonding can always help this! Don’t be strangers with the photographer! Talk! Make jokes! Make memories!
By following these tips, shoots are fun and easy! Working with Michelle is so much fun! We’ve got so many jokes and memories that shooting with her is exciting and she always makes sure that I stay true to my own style! So, strike a pose and have fun!
Signature Image Box
Almost every portrait session I’ve done has resulted in clients having too many favorite images and really not a great way to display or store them. For years, storyboards and wall displays have been a favorite, but this year, when I was contemplating adding a new product, I really wanted something that was made it easy to display and change images. I’ve had image boxes before, but typically they’re for standard prints and don’t always have a place to store a USB. This product however, has the option of a false bottom, making the perfect location for the USB as well as a couple of bamboo stands! Of course that lab only offered standard prints, and I really love our 5×7 double sided silk prints, so I just combined them into a single signature keepsake product that was introduced for the Spring 2017 season. I was ecstatic!
Decorate Your Home With Custom Artwork
So far this year, it has been our most popular product! I’m all about showing off your portraits rather than leaving them to collect dust in a desk drawer. One of the most popular combinations is the 5×7 Signature Image Box complete with 2 bamboo stands, a custom USB, and 20 double sided silk prints. That’s 20 pictures! Of course your favorite is on the cover, and the USB holds any digital files that you have purchased and/or the premier slideshow which also showcases all your images set to music and ready to watch at any time.
Our 5×7 Signature Image Box comes with 2 bamboo stands as well as a custom cover, so at any time you can easily display 3 of your favorite pictures. The other pictures fit neatly in the box to avoid damage, and can be swapped out at any time. Do you have a hard time decided which pictures to display? Me too! With this option, you don’t have to choose! You can just walk by and decide to flip over an image and show the other side! Better yet, since we offer these double sided silk prints in several sizes, many of our clients are adding on 8×10 or 11×14 so images can be displayed in multiple areas of their home or office.
More Pictures Please!
And then it happened. I had a client who wanted MORE than 20 images…in fact Brandon’s mom wanted them all! I called the professional lab we use for the custom boxes to see what other sizes they offered, and now we offer an upgrade to a larger box that holds at least 20 double sided prints! Tou don’t even have to worry about making selections! Talk about a dream come true! Look at this variety!!!
Each double sided silk print has a 2mm mount so images are sturdy and won’t warp or bend.
Fort Collins Senior Pictures
Even though I’m based in Arizona, we have family in Fort Collins making it easy to provide professional portraits in the beautiful communities of Fort Collins and Loveland as well as other Northern Colorado cities. Last year I met Janene and we worked together for their family portrait session (which was amazing, btw!). She mentioned then that Brandon would soon be a senior, so fast forward to this spring, she asked if I’d be back in the area to do Brandon’s senior pictures! Um, yes!!! Family vacation and fun senior session at the same time! Talk about win-win! Brandon will be graduation from Resurrection Christian School, Class of 2018!
Senior Pictures for Guys
Janene and I discussed what types of things Brandon was interested in and she created a small Pinterest board so I could get keep track of her ideas. Since I really enjoy working with senior guys, many of them choose to bring their cars, or at least their dad’s car. So we started off near their home on Boyd Lake. The ’67 Camaro paired with his letter jacket created the perfect look for senior pictures! Since this was his top pick for his yearbook picture, and the yearbook requires that the image be in portrait orientation, I just modified it slightly to fit the criteria.
Yes, we love including dogs in senior pictures!
And then there’s Kody!!! Maybe you’ve noticed that I love dogs, but this was a little more special. Just after their family session last year, they had to put their beloved dog to sleep. We all know that we can’t replace our furbabies, but when Janene first shared pictures of Kody, I was in love! Brandon’s new puppy was just precious! Fast forward a year later, and Kody is just as precious but definitely a little bigger. Because their time with us is never long enough, I’m a huge believer in having pets be a part of your photo session.
Senior Pictures for Football Players
Soon we were off to Fossil Ridge High School. Since Brandon is a football player at RCS, I was really hoping he’d want to incorporate that into his senior pictures. While he didn’t want to do the full uniform, the jeans worked great with his jersey and helmet. We used the field at Fossil Ridge High School since RCS plays there sometimes. We had problems finding a football field that didn’t have soccer nets attached to the goal posts. Never imagined that being an issue, but we checked a few other fields, but they all had soccer nets attached. Thankfully Fossil Ridge didn’t!
Below is a before and after of what you see vs what I see. I knew I wanted a grungy black & white image for one of Brandon’s football pictures. With a little creativity and artistic knowledge, the difference is amazing!
So this is one of my favorite pictures from Brandon’s session, and it was one of his favorites too! So we turned it into a beautiful metal with a quote. It isn’t just about pictures, it’s about meaningful artwork for your home.
This is the perfect quote for Brandon. It is truly amazing to think about his future and all the wonderful things God has planned for him!
I asked Janene to snap a quick picture of the metal, which is even more gorgeous in person!
Downtown Fort Collins Senior Pictures
As a Fort Collins senior photographer, one of my favorite places is Downtown Fort Collins! It has so much character and tons of great locations for senior pictures! We walked through the alley, crossed College, and we’re greeted by quite a few people who thought it was a great idea for a photo shoot! In face, we need to go back in a few years…one of the men offered to buy Brandon a beer when he turns 21! See, it isn’t just about the final products, but the memories that happen during the photo shoot too! As we were walking, I noticed the pier in front of Drunken Monkey, which I loved for senior pictures…even though perhaps the Drunken Monkey doesn’t really send the best message to teenagers! Thankfully Janene is a great sport and was actually thinking of this location before I mentioned it! Great minds!
Every mom loves close-ups of her kids, and sometimes the serious face is just a winner! Loved the look of Brandon’s shirt with the sleeves rolled up exposing the plaid, and the color works great with all the brick in the downtown area.
I wasn’t sure where I wanted to go next, so Brandon and I just started wandering and planned to have Janene go back for the car and pick us up. It was nice to talk to Brandon for awhile and hear that he was actually having FUN!!! What good is a photo shoot for senior pictures if you can’t have some fun? One of the last shots of the day was back a couple of blocks. I knew the beautiful trees would make the perfect backdrop for one last shot with his letter jacket. Even better, it is the perfect cover for his Signature Image Box that holds all of prints!
Ideas for your senior pictures:
- Your dog, including treats, toys, and a bag to clean up messes
- Letter jacket
- Sports gear and accessories
- Basic jeans, so you can swap shirts easily and still have a variety of looks